WARNING: science-based nutrition will rock your world.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Caca Alternative: Energy Bumps!


Look left; you've seen these ingredients before. They should be standards in your kitchen by now. If not, get up offa that thing and head to the nearest Earth Fare or Whole Foods, or better yet, your local food co-op.


To Make Bumps, you'll need the following:

2 cups finely chopped raw almonds
1/2 cup or more raw cacao nibs
1 cup organic raisins
4 tablespoons nut butter
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
2 tablespoons black strap molasses
a flat storage container

Mix all the ingredients together in a food processor, or place in a medium-sized bowl and stir until well integrated.
If the mix is too gooey, add more almonds, raisins, and nibs.
If it's too stiff, add more molasses and nut butter.
When it feels just right, scoop out a tablespoon or so at a time, roll into balls, and place in a single layer in your flat container.
They stack nicely, but separate the layers with wax paper so they won't stick together.
Dress them for a party! Throw some unsweetened, alkaline-free cocoa powder (Chatfield's is my current brand of choice) in your storage container, and give it a gentle shake.
Freeze for later! These little homemade jewels freeze beautifully, and kids love them!
Double the recipe if you want.

Experiment by adding cinnamon, leaving out chocolate, adding coconut butter, using walnuts instead of almonds, or adding dried fruit.

Go ahead, make a mess; creativity is usually messy!
Pic to right: Spotlight on James Brown

1 comment:

  1. I actually just bought ice cream the other night, thinking, "What the heck, I haven't been 'bad' for a while (have been off sugar for the past month or more), so I'll get something for myself." When I was getting back to my car, I remembered this post. When I got home and tried the ice cream.. EEKS! Too sweet!! So I'm going to take the stuff back and make sure I have what is necessary to make these beauties. I didn't even -like- the ice cream, and that's new! So, I must be doing something good, and I'm going to be making these, for sure. Thanks for being here!

    ReplyDelete